The town of Wrexham (Welsh: Wrecsam) is the largest in the north of Wales. It lies in a former heavily industrialised area which played a major role in the Industrial Revolution.
Until 1974 Wrexham was in the historic county of Denbighshire and, from 1974 to 1996, in the county of Clwyd. In 1996 the County Borough of Wrexham was formed.
Wrexham was historically a major garrison town, with the barracks at Hightown being the headquarters of the Royal Welch Fusiliers from 1877 until 2006.
The Royal Welch Fusiliers was an infantry regiment founded in 1689. The regiment became the Welch Regiment of Fusiliers in 1702, and the Prince of Wales's Own Royal Regiment of Welch Fusiliers in 1714. At the same time, it was designated as the 23rd Regiment of Foot, which continued until 1881. The spelling 'Welch' gradually gave way in popular usage to 'Welsh', but the Regiment stuck to the old spelling. In 1920, the War Office finally agreed that the official spelling should be 'Welch'.
The regiment was amalgamated with the Royal Regiment of Wales on 1st March, 2006, to become 1st Battalion, The Royal Welsh.
Several memorials to those who died in conflict throughout the world are sited inside St. Giles Parish Church in the centre of Wrexham.
The main war memorials for Wrexham are located in the Memorial Hall at Bodhyfryd.
Several of Wrexham's schools also created their own memorials to commemorate former pupils.