The foundation stone of St. Mary's church was laid in March 1863, and the church was consecrated by Bishop Short, of St. Asaph, on 3 September 1864. Almost all the stonework was quarried, and worked, on the site.
The new parish of Cefn was created on 7 February 1865. It comprised the two townships of Wigfair and Meiriadog (both in Denbighshire), which had until then been in the parish of St. Asaph in Flintshire.
• • •
For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GENUKI Cefn Meiriadog page.