Cilcain is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire. It originally comprised the townships of Cefn, Llan (or Tre'r Llan), Llystynhunydd (or Glust), Llys y Coed, Maes y Groes, Mechlas (or Dolfechlas), and Trellyniau. However, on 27 June 1848, Trellyniau and part of Llystynhunydd went to the new parish of Rhesycae; and on 31 March 1865, the remainder of Llystynhunydd, and parts of Cefn and Mechlas, went to the new parish of Rhydymwyn.
The first recorded mention of the church dates from 1291.
• • •
For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Cilcain page.