The ancient parish of Hanmer in the Maelor Saesneg (the detached part of historic Flintshire) consisted of the townships of Bettisfield, Overton, Halghton, Hanmer, Tybroughton and Willington.
The parish was in the diocese of Lichfield until 1541, when it was transferred to the newly created diocese of Chester. In 1849, it was transferred to the diocese of St. Asaph.
In 1836, the township of Overton went to the new parish of Overton. In 1879, most of the township of Bettisfield went to the new parish of Bettisfield. In 1948, the new parish of Tallarn Green was created out of parts of the townships of Tybroughton and Willington.
The oldest recorded reference to a church at Hanmer dates from AD 1110. The church was destroyed in 1463, during the Wars of the Roses, but had been rebuilt by 1490. Four centuries later, on the 3rd February 1889, it was destroyed by fire. It was partially rebuilt, and was re-opened for worship on the 19th April 1892. However, the chancel was not rebuilt until 1936.
The church is dedicated to St. Chad, who is reputed to have baptised converts in Llyn Bedydd, a small mere nearby.
In 1383, Owain Glyndŵr was married to Marged Hanmer at St Chad's Church.
• • •
For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Hanmer page.