Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Clwyd
Clwyd Family History Society
Clwyd FHS

Clwyd Churches

Hawarden
Penarl√Ęg
Hawarden Parish Church
St. Deiniol
Sant Deiniol
Ordnance Survey Reference:
SJ 315659
Listed:
Grade II*
Pre-1974 county:
Flintshire
1974 to 1996 county:
Clwyd
Post-1996 county:
Flintshire

Hawarden is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire. It originally comprised the sixteen townships of Aston, Bannel, Bretton, Broughton, Ewloe Town, Ewloe Wood, Hawarden, Mancot, Manor, Moor, Pentrobin, Rake, Saltney, Sealand and Shotton.

On 12 December 1874, the new parish of Buckley was created, from the township of Ewloe Wood and parts of the townships of Ewloe Town and Pentrobin.

On 30 May 1921, the new parish of Shotton was created, from parts of the townships of Shotton, Aston, Sealand and Saltney.

The parish of Hawarden was traditionally a "peculiar" - the only one in Wales. The Rector was exempt from the jurisdiction of any Bishop - he held his own ecclesiastical courts, proved wills, and granted marriage licences. Confirmations were performed by invited Bishops. Peculiars were abolished in 1849, and on the 30th of July 1849 the peculiar of Hawarden was attached to the diocese of St. Asaph. However, the Rector of Hawarden continued to prove wills until 1858, and he is still permitted to grant marriage licences to this day.

St. Deiniol's church has a history of at least 1000 years - the list of known Rectors dates back to 1180. Considerable damage was caused by a fire, which was started deliberately, on the night of the 29th of October 1857. Fortunately, however, the parish registers were rescued by a young parishioner named Richard Hammond, who entered the burning building by breaking through a window. After rebuilding, the church was re-opened on the 14th of July 1859.

The modern parish of Hawarden is administered as a "Rectorial Benefice", consisting of the parish church of Hawarden and the five district churches of:

• • •

For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Hawarden page.


This page was last revised 8th January 2013
Copyright © 2013 Clwyd Family History Society

REGISTERED CHARITY 512068