"The parish is divided by the river Alyn into two parts; that above
the river, called Hope Medachiad, comprises the townships of Uwchmynydd
(subdivided into Uwch and Issa), Cymau, Caergwrle and Rhanberfedd; and that
below the river those of Hope Owen, Estyn and Shordley. The total area contains
9171 acres, but a portion was transferred to the daughter parish of Llanfynydd
in 1843, leaving to the mother church an area of 5171 acres, with a population
[From The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , Ven. D.R. Thomas, 1908]
There is evidence that a wooden church stood on the site during the twelfth century. This was replaced by a stone building in the late thirteenth century. The north nave was built circa 1500, with the tower being added some years later. Extensive "restoration" took place in 1859, and again in 1885.
Urgent and extensive structural repairs to the fabric of the church were undertaken during the year 2000; and the church was re-opened, and re-dedicated by the Bishop of St. Asaph, on Sunday, 17 December 2000.
The church at Hope is currently dedicated to Saint Cynfarch and Saint Cyngar; although at various times in the past it appears to have been dedicated to either one or the other.
• • •
For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Hope page.