Nercwys is regarded as being one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire; although it was a chapelry of the parish of Mold until 27 May 1844. On that date, it officially became a separate parish, comprising the townships of Nercwys and Arddunwent. In practice, Nercwys had long operated as a separate parish, although it was held jointly with Treuddyn until 1832.
The earliest reference to a church at Nercwys dates from 1291. The church was extensively restored and enlarged in 1847, and again in 1882/1883.
The anglicised spelling, "Nerquis", is often found in older documents.
• • •
For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Nercwys page.