Northop is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire, and originally consisted of the eight townships of Caerfallwch, Golftyn, Kelsterton, Leadbrook Major, Leadbrook Minor, Northop, Sychtyn (formerly Soughton) and Wepre.
In 1844, the townships of Leadbrook, Kelsterton, Golftyn and Wepre went to the newly created parish of Connah's Quay but, in 1872, Leadbrook Major and Leadbrook Minor were transferred from Connah's Quay to Flint.
In 1865, part of the township of Caerfallwch went to the newly created parish of Rhydymwyn.
In 1876, the remainder of the township of Caerfallwch went to the newly created parish of Caerfallwch.
There is evidence of a church at Northop as early as the 6th century. The present building was extensively re-built in 1840, and underwent further alterations in 1877.
For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Northop page.