Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Clwyd
Clwyd Family History Society
Clwyd FHS

Eglwysi

Churches

Overton
Owrtyn
Overton Parish Church
St. Mary the Virgin
Sants Fair y Forwyn
Cyf. AO/OS Ref.:
SJ 373418
Rhestredig/Listed:
Gradd/Grade II*
Cyn/Pre 1974:
Sir Fflint/Flintshire
1974 - 1996:
Clwyd
Ers/Since 1996:
Wrecsam/Wrexham

Overton is in Maelor Saesneg, the detached part of historic Flintshire. Overton was granted Borough status by Edward I on 20th July 1292. In July 1992, Her Majesty the Queen planted a young yew tree in the churchyard, to commemorate her visit to Overton as part of the 700th anniversary celebrations.

The earliest ecclesiastical reference is believed to be a note in the Public Records of 1402, in which Overton was declared to be a Chapelry of the parish of Bangor is y Coed.

Overton was in the diocese of Lichfield until 1541, when it was transferred to the newly created diocese of Chester. In 1849, it was transferred to the diocese of St. Asaph.

On 20th December 1867, Overton was constituted as a separate parish. The new parish comprised the townships of Knolton, Maesgwaelod, Maeslewis, Overton Foreign and Overton Villa.

It is believed that there has been a church on this site since the seventh century. The first stone church, of which no trace now remains, was probably built in the late twelfth century.

In the late fourteenth century a church was built on the present site, consisting of a tower and nave. In the late fifteenth century the nave was demolished and a larger one was built. The Hanoverian chancel was added in 1710. In 1819 the north aisle was widened, and a vestry was built on the south side of the tower. The south aisle was added in 1855.

The church was extensively restored in 1868/1869, and was re-opened on 9 August 1870.

Overton churchyard is famous for its yew trees - which make it quite difficult to obtain a photograph of the church!


For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Overton page.


Diweddarwyd y tudalen ddiwethaf 1af Awst 2014 - This page was last revised 1st August 2014
Hawlffraint © 2014 Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Clwyd - Copyright © 2014 Clwyd Family History Society

ELUSEN GOFRESTREDIG RHIF 512068 - REGISTERED CHARITY 512068