Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Clwyd
Clwyd Family History Society
Clwyd FHS

Eglwysi
Churches

Southsea
Glanyrafon
Southsea Parish Church
All Saints
Holl Sant
Ordnance Survey Reference:
SJ 302518
Listed:
-
Pre-1974 county:
Denbighshire
1974 to 1996 county:
Clwyd
Post-1996 county:
Wrexham

The parish of Southsea was created on 7 May 1921, from part of the ancient parish of Wrexham, and parts of the parishes of Broughton and Brymbo.

The present church (shown above) is the former church hall, which was consecrated for use as a church on 15 April 1984. There have been two earlier buildings, a few yards away. The first one was licensed and opened for divine service on St. Andrew's Day, 1884.

In 1926, it was decided to demolish the original building, and replace it with a larger building on the same site. It is said that this was done by building the new church around the old one - which was then demolished!

By the early 1980's, this second church had become unsafe. The Bishop of St. Asaph deconsecrated it on 15 April 1984, and it was demolished soon afterwards.


For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GENUKI Southsea page.

Tanyfron Church
St. Alban
Sant Alban
Ordnance Survey Reference:
SJ 295523
Listed:
-
Pre-1974 county:
Denbighshire
1974 to 1996 county:
Clwyd
Post-1996 county:
Wrexham

 

The foundation stone of St Alban's church, Tanyfron, in the parish of Southsea, was laid on 31 August 1896; and the church was opened on 8 March 1897.


For family history information about the church, visit the GENUKI Tanyfron page.


Diweddarwyd y tudalen ddiwethaf 1af Awst 2014 - This page was last revised 1st August 2014
Hawlffraint © 2014 Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Clwyd - Copyright © 2014 Clwyd Family History Society

ELUSEN GOFRESTREDIG RHIF 512068 - REGISTERED CHARITY 512068