The ancient parish of St. Asaph consisted of thirteen townships, which
were traditionally grouped as follows:
• Brynpolyn, Cyrchynan, Gwernglefryd;
• Bodelwyddan, Pengwern, Fanol;
• Meriadog, Wigfair (or Wickwer) - both in historic Denbighshire;
• Bodeugan, Cilowen, Gwerneigron, Rhyllon, Talar
On 3 August 1860, the townships of Bodelwyddan, Pengwern and Fanol went to the new parish of Bodelwyddan.
On 7 February 1865, the townships of Meriadog and Wigfair went to the new parish of St. Mary's, Cefn Meriadog.
The church stands a short distance to the west of the Cathedral, at the bottom of the High Street. The older parts of the building date from the thirteenth century. It was extensively restored in 1872.
• • •
For family history information about the church, cathedral and parish, visit the GenUKI St. Asaph page.