Historic FlintshireFlintshire (Welsh: Sir y Fflint) was one of thirteen historic counties of Wales. It was notable for having several exclaves and being the smallest county in Wales. It was a maritime county bounded to the north by the Irish Sea, to the east by the Dee estuary, to the south-east by Cheshire (England) and to the south and west by Denbighshire.
The county was formed in 1284 under the terms of the Statute of Rhuddlan and included the cantrefi (hundreds) of Tegeingl, Hope and the Maelor Saesneg formerly parts of the Welsh kingdoms of Gwynedd and Powys Fadog. The Lordships of Mold and Hawarden and also the enclave of Marford & Hoseley were later added to the county. The county town was Mold.
See also: Ancient Parishes of Flintshire
• • •
Under the Local Government Act 1972, the county and administrative county of Flintshire were abolished, for both local government and ceremonial purposes, on 1 April 1974. All of Flintshire becoming part of the newly formed county of Clwyd covering the whole of north-east Wales.
The county of Clwyd was was divided into six administrative districts:
• • •
Following further local government reorganisation, the county of Clwyd was itself abolished and the present county of Flintshire was created on 1 April 1996. This covers a substantially different area from the historic county of Flintshire however. Mold continued to be the county town.
The new county included: