Dyserth

Home > Churches > Dyserth

Exterior photograph of Dyserth church

St. Bridget

Santes Ffraid

Ordnance Survey Reference:

SJ 056794

Listed:

Grade II*

Pre-1974 county:

Flintshire

1974 to 1996 county:

Clwyd

Post-1996 county:

Denbighshire

Dyserth is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire, comprising the townships of Dyserth, Llewerllyd, Rhyd and Trecastell.

The church has had two different dedications - formerly to St. Cwyfan, whose cross stands on the border of the parish with Whitford; and currently to St. Bridget (or St. Ffraid).

The church was mentioned in the Domesday book and had become very dilapidated by the 19th century. It was extensively restored/rebuilt by Sir Gilbert Scott between 1873 and 1875.

• • •

For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GENUKI Dyserth page.


Churches