Holywell

Home > Churches > Holywell

Exterior photograph of Holywell church

St. James

Sant Iago

Ordnance Survey Reference:

SJ 185763

Listed:

Grade II*

Pre-1974 county:

Flintshire

1974 to 1996 county:

Clwyd

Post-1996 county:

Flintshire

Holywell (Welsh: Treffynnon) is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire. It originally comprised the townships of Holywell, Brynford, Bagillt Fawr, Bagillt Fechan, Calcot, Coleshill Fawr, Coleshill Fechan, Greenfield, Stokyn and Wellstone.

On 23 May 1844, the new parish of Bagillt was created from the townships of Bagillt Fawr, Bagillt Fechan, Coleshill Fawr and Coleshill Fechan.

In 1854, most of the township of Brynford was lost to the new parish of Brynford and, in 1983, the area of Wellstone was transferred to the parish of Brynford.

There is evidence of a church at Holywell before the Norman conquest. The church was dedicated to St. Winifred for many centuries, but after extensive rebuilding in 1769, it was re-dedicated to St. James the Apostle.

• • •

For family history information about the churches and parish, visit the GenUKI Holywell page.


Churches