Llanasa

Home > Churches > Llanasa

Exterior photograph of Llanasa church

St. Asaph & St. Cyndeyrn

Sant Asa & Sant Cyndeyrn

Ordnance Survey Reference:

SJ 106814S

Listed:

Grade II*

Pre-1974 county:

Flintshire

1974 to 1996 county:

Clwyd

Post-1996 county:

Flintshire

Llanasa is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire. It originally comprised the townships of Gronant, Gwespyr, Kelston, Golden Grove, Picton, Axtyn and Trelogan.

In 1812, an embankment nearly two miles in length was built, allowing a large area of fertile land to be reclaimed from the sea. This area became the township of Trewaelod.

A portion of the township of Gronant went to the new parish of Prestatyn in 1860.

There has been a church on the same site since the 6th Century. The shell of the present building is believed to date from the late 15th Century, but there have been several restorations and additions over the years, especially in 1739, 1746, 1766, 1818 and 1877.

• • •

For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GENUKI Llanasa page.


Churches