Llanrwst St mary

Home > Churches > Llanrwst St mary

Exterior photograph of Llanrwst St Mary church

St. Mary

Santes Fair

Ordnance Survey Reference:

SH 802614

Listed:

demolished

Pre-1974 county:

Denbighshire

1974 to 1996 county:

Gwynedd

Post-1996 county:

Conwy

The ancient parish of Llanrwst was of great extent. It comprised the Caernarfonshire township of Gwydir; and the Denbighshire townships of Cilcennis, Tre'r Dre Isaf, Tre'r Dre Uchaf, Garthgyfannedd, Mathebrwd, Tybrith Isaf, Tybrith Uchaf, and Garth Garmon.

In 1866, a portion of the township of Gwydir was transferred by an Order in Council to the parish of Capel Curig, in Caernarfonshire.

Tybrith Ucha and Garth Garmon had for many years operated, unofficially, as the parish of Capel Garmon; and this was made official in 1927.

St. Mary's church was built specifically to cater for the increasing number of English-speaking visitors to Llanrwst and the immediate neighbourhood.

The foundation stone of St. Mary's was laid on 26 May 1841, and the church was consecrated on 28 October 1842.

The church was demolished in 1984, having been closed some years earlier.  Only the foundations now remain.

• • •

For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GENUKI Llanrwst page.


Churches