Home > Churches > Llansannan

Exterior photograph of Llansannan church

St. Sannan

Sant Sannan

Ordnance Survey Reference:

SH 934658


Grade II*

Pre-1974 county:


1974 to 1996 county:


Post-1996 county:


The ancient parish comprised the townships of Treflach, Mostyn & Hendreunig, Llansannan, Rhydeidon, Beidiog, Penaled (or Pennant Aled), Llysaled, Archwedlog, Chwibren, Hescin, Deunant, Arllwyd, and Grugor.

On 21 July 1855, the new parish of Bylchau was created; and the township of Grugor, with portions of Archwedlog and Deunant were transferred from Llansannan to Bylchau.

The church was founded by St. Sannan, an Irish saint and bishop; and was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. It was partly rebuilt in 1778. It was restored in 1878/1879, being re-opened on 12 June 1879.

• • •

For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GENUKI Llansannan page.