Nercwys

Home > Churches > Nercwys

Exterior photograph of Nercwys church

St. Mary

Santes Fair

Ordnance Survey Reference:

SJ 235604

Listed:

Grade II*

Pre-1974 county:

Flintshire

1974 to 1996 county:

Clwyd

Post-1996 county:

Flintshire

Nercwys is regarded as being one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire; although it was a chapelry of the parish of Mold until 27 May 1844. On that date, it officially became a separate parish, comprising the townships of Nercwys and Arddunwent. In practice, Nercwys had long operated as a separate parish, although it was held jointly with Treuddyn until 1832.

The earliest reference to a church at Nercwys dates from 1291. The church was extensively restored and enlarged in 1847, and again in 1882/1883.

The anglicised spelling, "Nerquis", is often found in older documents.

• • •

For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Nercwys page.


Churches