Home > Churches > Ruabon

Exterior photograph of Ruabon church

St. Mary

Santes Fair

Ordnance Survey Reference:

SJ 303437


Grade I

Pre-1974 county:


1974 to 1996 county:


Post-1996 county:


Ruabon is one of the ancient parishes of Denbighshire. It comprised the townships of Ruabon (which included the hamlets of Rhuddallt, Hafod, Belan and Bodylltyn), Cristionydd Cynrig (or Y Dref Fawr or Cristionydd Kenrick), Coed Cristionydd, Dinhinlle Uchaf (or Cristionydd Fechan, or Y Dref Fechan), Dinhinlle Isaf, Morton Above (or Morton uwch y Clawdd or Morton Wallicorum), Morton Below (or Morton is y Clawdd), (where Above/Uwch and Below/Is refer to Offa's Dyke), and Morton Anglicorum.

On 24 May 1844, Coed Cristionydd and part of Cristionydd Cynrig went to the new parish of Rhosymedre.

On 3 September 1844, Morton Above went to the new parish of Rhosllannerchrugog.

On 28 October 1879, Dinhinlle Uchaf and the remainder of Cristionydd Cynrig went to the new parish of Penycae.

The first church at Ruabon is believed to have been established by St. Mabon, during the sixth century. It was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254, at which time the dedication was to St. Collen.

The present church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, dates from the late thirteenth century. It was extensively altered in 1846, and "restored" in 1871/1872.

Other churches in the parish

• All Saints Church, Penylan

The church is situated in the rural part of Ruabon parish. It was originally built for the Penylan Estate but now serves the hamlets of Penylan and Rhosymadog.

The dark red sandstone for the building was quarried from the estate and the wood furnishings were made from oak felled on the estate. It has fine 19th century stained glass windows and antique tiles from the local brick & tile masters J. C. Edwards. 

• Plas Bennion Mission Church

A mission church was built at Plas Bennion in the 1890s to serve the small mining community in the west of Ruabon Parish. The church was situated beside the railway line, which formed the boundary between Ruabon and Penycae parishes. The Plas Bennion church was a "Tin Tabernacle" - a prefabricated corrugated-iron construction.

During the early 1970s, the terraces of mining cottages in Plas Bennion were demolished and the church congregation dwindled. The church closed in 1982 and was demolished soon after.

• • •

For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GENUKI Ruabon page.