Tallarn Green

Home > Churches > Tallarn Green

Exterior photograph of Tallarn Green church

St. Mary Magdalene

Santes Fair Fadlen

Ordnance Survey Reference:

SJ 446442

Listed:

Grade II

Pre-1974 county:

Flintshire (detached)

1974 to 1996 county:

Clwyd

Post-1996 county:

Wrexham

 

St. John's church was erected in 1874, and was consecrated by the Bishop of St. Asaph on 16 October 1878. At that time, it was a district church within the parish of Hanmer. It replaced a wooden chapel, which had been opened on 12 October 1851.

Tallarn Green, in the former detached part of historic Flintshire, became a separate parish, within the Diocese of St. Asaph, on 24 January 1880.

The great Welsh poet, R. S. Thomas, was curate of Tallarn Green from 1940 to 1942.

The church closed in July 2007.



Churches