Bangor is y Coed
Ordnance Survey Reference:
1974 to 1996 county:
Bangor is y Coed is in the Maelor Saesneg, the former detached part of historic Flintshire. The parish comprised the Flintshire township of Bangor and the Denbighshire townships of Eyton, Royton, Sesswick and Pickhill. For family history purposes, Bangor is generally regarded as being a Flintshire parish.
The list of known rectors of Bangor begins in 1300, and it is believed that the present building dates from about the same time; although there had already been a church on the site for perhaps 600 or 700 years. It was extensively restored and rebuilt between 1723 and 1727. It was again restored in 1832, and further modified in 1877.
The church is dedicated to St. Dunawd, who was the first Abbott of the monastery at Bangor; but there is some evidence that an earlier dedication was to St. Deinio
• • •
For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Bangor is y Coed page.