Colwyn - St John

Home > Churches > Colwyn - St John

Exterior photograph of Colwyn - St John church

St. John

Sant Ioan

Ordnance Survey Reference:

SH 869784

Listed:

Grade II*

Pre-1974 county:

Denbighshire

1974 to 1996 county:

Clwyd

Post-1996 county:

Conwy

The parish of Colwyn (now better known as Old Colwyn) was created in 1844, from the townships of Eirias, Colwyn, and Cilgwyn, which had been in the parish of Llandrillo yn Rhos; part of the parish of Llaneilian, and the hamlet of Graig from the parish of Llysfaen.

The foundation stone of St. John's church was laid on 18th October 1899, and the church was consecrated on 13th August 1903.

St Catherine’s church, which was the original parish church of Colwyn, closed in 2012.   Services continue to be held at St John's church.

• • •

For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Colwyn page.

 


Churches