Home > Churches > Trelawnyd

Exterior photograph of Trelawnyd church

St. Michael

Sant Mihangel

Ordnance Survey Reference:

SJ 088796


Grade II*

Pre-1974 county:


1974 to 1996 county:


Post-1996 county:


Trelawnyd is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire. It was originally part of the parish of Dyserth, and appears to have become a separate parish some time between 1254 and 1291. It comprises four townships - Gop, Graig, Pentreffyddion and Rhydlyfnwyd.

An older name, "Newmarket", now discontinued, dates back to 1700, in which year John Wynne obtained a faculty from the Bishop's Registry to change the name. John Wynne had already rebuilt most of the village, established several branches of industry, and set up a weekly market and an annual fair. The village (and parish) continued to be called "Newmarket" until 1954, when it was officially renamed as Trelawnyd.

The church was rebuilt in 1724, and restored between 1895 and 1897.

• • •

For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Trelawnyd page.