Ordnance Survey Reference:
1974 to 1996 county:
Worthenbury is in Maelor Saesneg, the detached part of historic Flintshire. It was originally a parochial chapelry in the parish of Bangor is y Coed. It was in the diocese of Lichfield until 1541, when it was transferred to the newly created diocese of Chester. In 1849, it was transferred to the diocese of St. Asaph.
In 1658, during the Commonwealth Period, Worthenbury was designated as a parish in its own right - but in 1661, after the Restoration, this was declared invalid. In 1689, Sir Roger Puleston obtained an Act of Parliament, and Worthenbury again became a separate parish.
The earliest recorded reference to a church at Worthenbury dates from 1388. The church was completely rebuilt in 1739, and the interior still retains many of its Georgian features. Experts consider it to be the finest example of a Georgian church in Wales.
• • •
For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Worthenbury page.