Chirk

Home > Miscellanea > Old Clwyd Postcards > Chirk

The village

The centre of Chirk.

The village

Church Street in the centre of Chirk, with Station Road going off to the right. The war memorial, designed by architect Eric Gill, was later contracted at the junction of the two roads.

Station Avenue

The cottage on Station Avenue was formerly a 17th century smithy. Chirk Station was a long walk from the centre of the village!

The Hand Hotel

The Hand Hotel, a former coaching inn, is in the centre of the village, on Church Street. This was the main route between London and Holyhead. St. Mary's parish church can be seen in the distance.

Hand Terrace

Hand Terrace, on Church Street.

Parish Hall

The Parish Hall on the Holyhead Road.

The Parish Hall and Girls' School

The Parish Hall with the former National Girls' School to its right. The school was built by architect Augustus Pugin.

St. Mary's Parish Church

Chirk is an ancient parish and it is believed that a church has stood on the site since the 7th century.

Chirk Aqueduct and Viaduct

The Chirk Aqueduct and Viaduct were built to carry the Chester to Shrewsbury Railway and the Shropshire Union Canal over the Afon Ceiriog. The train has just left Chirk station and is heading towards Shrewsbury.

Castle Gates

The gates at the entrance to Chirk Castle. These ornate gates were built in 1719 by the Davies Brothers at Croesfoel Forge, Bersham. The design incorporates the coat-of-arms of the Myddelton family which features the "Bloody Hand", three wolves heads and an eagles head.

Chirk Castle

Chirk Castle is a 700 year old Norman castle, built by Roger Mortimer. For most of its history it has been in the hands of the Myddleton family.

Canal Tunnel

A horse-drawn barge exits the tunnel on the Shropshire Union Canal at Chirk.

Ty· Ririd

A house on Castle Road, obviously important enough to feature on postcards! (Postmarked 1915).

Old Clwyd Postcards