Ancient Flintshire Parishes

Home > Miscellanea > Ancient Flintshire Parishes

The Ancient Parishes of Flintshire

The following are the ancient parishes in the historic county of Flintshire, which was abolished in 1974.

The historic county of Flintshire bears little resemblance to the modern county of Flintshire which was formed in 1996.

In the late 19th century and the early 20th century, as the population increased in many parishes, they were sub-divided into new parishes.

Historic Flintshire

Flintshire (Welsh: Sir y Fflint) was one of thirteen historic counties of Wales. It was notable for having several exclaves and being the smallest county in Wales. It was a maritime county bounded to the north by the Irish Sea, to the east by the Dee estuary, to the south-east by Cheshire (England) and to the south and west by Denbighshire.

The largest of its exclaves, the Maelor Saesneg (the English-speaking Maelor), was bounded on the west by Denbighshire, on the east by Cheshire (England), and on the south by Shropshire (England). Other exclaves of Flintshire included the manors of Marford and Hoseley, Abenbury Fechan and Bryn Estyn, all on the outskirts of Wrexham in Denbighshire, and also a small part of the parish of Erbistock in Denbighshire. Additionally, a small part of Flintshire, including the village of Sealand, was isolated across the River Dee when its course was changed to improve navigation.

The county was formed in 1284 under the terms of the Statute of Rhuddlan and included the cantrefi (hundreds) of Tegeingl, Hope and the Maelor Saesneg formerly parts of the Welsh kingdoms of Gwynedd and Powys Fadog. The Lordships of Mold and Hawarden and also the enclave of Marford & Hoseley were later added to the county. The county town was Mold.

 

• • •

1974-1996 Clwyd

 

Under the Local Government Act 1972, the county and administrative county of Flintshire were abolished, for both local government and ceremonial purposes, on 1 April 1974. All of Flintshire becoming part of the newly formed county of Clwyd covering the whole of north-east Wales.

The county of Clwyd was was divided into six administrative districts:

  • Alyn and Deeside (formed entirely from parts of historic Flintshire)
  • Colwyn
  • Delyn  (formed entirely from parts of historic Flintshire)
  • Glyndŵr
  • Rhuddlan (formed entirely from parts of historic Flintshire)
  • Wrexham Maelor (which included parts of historic Flintshire)

• • •

Modern Flintshire

 

Following further local government reorganisation, the county of Clwyd was itself abolished and the present county of Flintshire was created on 1 April 1996. This covers a substantially different area from the historic county of Flintshire however. Mold continued to be the county town.

The new county included:

  • the Alyn and Deeside district of Clwyd, and formerly in historic Flintshire
  • the Delyn district of Clwyd, and formerly in historic Flintshire

However:

  • the detached parts of historic Flintshire, which had been part of Wrexham Maelor district of Clwyd, became part of the newly formed County Borough of Wrexham
  • the Rhuddlan district of Clwyd and formerly in historic Flintshire became part of the new Denbighshire

 

 

 

B

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Bangor is y Coed
(covered Flintshire & Denbighshire)

1675

Ellesmere, Erbistock, Holt, Marchwiel, Overton, Ruabon, Worthenbury, Wrexham

Bodfari
(covered Flintshire & Denbighshire)

1571

Caerwys, Denbigh, Henllan, Llandyrnog, Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch, Tremeirchion, Ysceifiog

 

C

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Caerwys

1673

Bodfari, Tremeirchion, Whitford, Ysceifiog

Cilcain

1576

Halkyn, Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd, Llandyrnog, Llanferres, Llangwyfan, Llangynhafal, Nannerch, Ysceifiog

Cwm

1727

Dyserth, Rhuddlan, St Asaph, Trelawnyd, Tremeirchion, Whitford

 

D

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Dyserth

1602

Cwm, Gwaunysgor, Meliden, Rhuddlan, Trelawnyd

 

F

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Flint

1598

Northop

 

G

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Gwaunysgor

1538

Dyserth, Llanasa, Meliden, Trelawnyd

 

H

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Halkyn

1594

Cilcain, Holywell, Northop, Ysceifiog

Hanmer

1563

Ellesmere, Malpas, Wem, Welshampton, Whitchurch, Worthenbury

Hawarden

1585

Chester, Dodleston, Hope, Mold, Northop, Shotwick

Holywell

1677

Halkyn, Northop, Whitford, Ysceifiog

Hope

1668

Dodleston, Gresford, Hawarden, Llanarmon yn Iâl, Llandegla, Mold, Wrexham

 

Ll

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Llanarmon yn Iâl
(covered Flintshire & Denbighshire)

1676

Bryneglwys, Hope, Mold, Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd, Llandegla, Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Llanferres, Llanrhydd

Llanasa

1629

Gwaunysgor, Meliden, Trelawnyd, Whitford

 

M

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Meliden

1602

Dyserth, Gwaunysgor, Llanasa

Mold

1612

Cilcain, Hope, Llanarmon yn Iâl, Llandegla, Llanferres, Nercwys, Northop, Treuddyn

 

N

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Nannerch
(covered Flintshire & Denbighshire)

1664

Cilcain, Llandyrnog, Llangwyfan, Ysceifiog,

Nercwys

1696

Hope

Northop

1590

Cilcain, Halkyn, Hawarden, Holywell, Mold

 

O

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Overton

1602

Bangor is y Coed, Ellesmere, Erbistock

 

P

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Penley

1752

Bangor is y Coed, Ellesmere

 

Rh

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Rhuddlan

1681

Abergele, Cwm, Dyserth, St. Asaph

 

S

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

St. Asaph
(covered Flintshire & Denbighshire

1613

Abergele, Henllan, Llannefydd, Rhuddlan, St. George, Tremeirchion

 

T

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Trelawnyd

1696

Cwm, Dyserth, Gwaunysgor, Llanasa, Whitford

Tremeirchion

1601

Bodfari, Caerwys, Cwm, Henllan, St. Asaph, Whitford

Treuddyn

1611

Mold, Nercwys

 

W

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Whitford

1657

Caerwys, Cwm, Holywell, Llanasa, Trelawnyd, Tremeirchion, Ysceifiog

Worthenbury

1597

Bangor is y Coed, Ellesmere, Hanmer, Holt, Malpas, Overton, Shocklach, Threapwood

 

Y

Parish

Created circa

Neighbouring Parishes

Ysceifiog

1662

Bodfari, Caerwys, Cilcain, Halkyn, Holywell, Llandyrnog, Nannerch, Whitford