The view from the bridge crossing the Afon Eitha looking towards St. Mary's parish church. The pub on the left is the Bricklayers Arms (later known as the Bridge End Hotel).
The building on the right is the old Police Station and, to its left, the Round House (the old police 'lock-up'). The pub is The Vaults.
Bridge Street at its junction with Station Road. The building on the right is Walter Griffiths' grocery shop. This shop closed around 1920 and the building became Ling's Garage. The pub to the left of the bridge is the Bridge End Hotel.
E Lloyd's tobacco and confectionary shop on Bridge Street at its junction with Ysgoldy Hill. This shop was previously a branch of W H Smith, the national booksellers, newsagent and stationers (who also had a stand on the nearby Ruabon station). The shop to the right is Emlyn Pritchard's drapery shop.
St. Mary's Parish Church
A view of St. Mary's parish church from the junction of Bridge Street, Park Street and High Street.
This was the main shopping street. The Wynnstay Arms Hotel is on the right. The road to the left is Church Street. Ruabon Hospital is behind the trees in the distance.
The houses to the left are Tai Clawdd. Ruabon Hospital is off to the right of the picture. Ruabon's Register Office was in the first of the buildings on the right. It closed around 1970.
A mix of shops and offices. The final office, off to the right of the photograph, was Ruabon Register Office, where all Births and Deaths in the area were registered and many Marriages took place. It closed around 1970. (Postmarked 1920).
Wynnstay Arms Hotel
The Wynnstay Arms Hotel was an important coaching inn during the 18th & 19th centuries. The inn sign features the arms of the Williams Wynn family, showing an eagle with the motto "Eryr Eryrod Eryri", which translates into English as "The Eagle of Eagles of the Land of Eagles", the "Land of Eagles" being Snowdonia and reflecting the family's origins in that part of the country. The hotel stands at the important junction of Bridge Street, Park Street, High Street and Church Street.
The ornate gates lead into Wynnstay Park were erected around 1770 to mark the coming-of-age of the 8th Baronet, Watkin Williams Wynn. The gates were controlled using a wheel inside the last house on the right. The road to the left leads to the Vicarage and on to Erbistock and Overton.
An early view of St. Mary's parish church from Park Street, with the Wynnstay Arms Hotel and stables on the right. The Wynnstay Arms Hotel was an important coaching inn during the 18th & 19th centuries. The last building visible to the left, before the church, was Thomas Madeley's School, built in 1824. It was replaced by the nearby National School in 1848 and the building became Ruabon Court House. It later became the Constitutional Club. (Postmarked 1905).
St. Mary's Parish Church
The entrance to St. Mary's church as it looked before World War I. (Postmarked 1907).
St. Mary's Parish Church
The entrance to St. Mary's church as it looked after World War I. The lych gate memorial was designed by the Wrexham architect, T H Hogg, and was built of local Cefn stone and Wynnstay oak. Marble slabs were inscribed with the names of the war dead. The gate was dedicated on 31 October 1920.
Railway Terrace from Station Road
A view of St. Mary's parish church from Station Road. The Afon Eitha runs alongside Railway Terrace and the Bridge End Hotel.
The southbound platform at Ruabon Station. The station was opened in 1846 on the line from Chester to Shrewsbury. It later became the terminus for the Ruabon to Barmouth line. The platform's glass roof was removed in the 1970s.
This small terrace of cottages was built on the Llangollen Road, close to the station's goods yard.
The bridge was built to carry the Chester to Shrewsbury railway across the Afon Eitha. The main buildings of Ruabon Station are just visible to the top-left. The extra wide bridge was necessay to accommodate all three platforms. A smaller wooden footbridge can be seen through the arch, which formed part of a footpath from the station to Pont Adam. (Postmarked 1910).
The waterfall on the Afon Eitha at Pont Adam.
The Vicarage on the Overton Road
Pen y Gardden
The former home of the Haigh family, coal and brick masters, who moved to Ruabon in the late 1800s from Walsden, Lancashire, England.
Boy's Grammar School
The building was part of the 19th century expansion and included the school hall and lecture theatre. Further large-scale expansion took place in the 20th century. In 1967, the boys' grammar school merged with the girls' grammar school to form Ysgol Rhiwabon, a comprehensive school. The site of the former boys' grammar school has been redeveloped for housing, with many of the original buildings being conserved. (Postmarked 1908).
The newly built Council Schools at Maes y Llan. The schools were officially opened on 25 July 1912. The Infant School, to the left, had two classrooms, one of which could be converted to 'open-air'. The Junior School, to the right, had six classrooms, two of which could be opened up to form the school hall.
Wynnstay Hall and the lake.
A side view of Wynnstay from the north, with deer grazing near the lake.
Bath House, Wynnstay
Built for the Williams Wynn family in 1785 by James Wyatt as a classical pavilion with a central portico, with steps leading down to the rectangular bath.
The hamlet of Penylan, off the Overton Road.
All Saints church is situated in the rural part of Ruabon parish. It was originally built for the Penylan Estate but now serves the hamlets of Penylan and Rhosymadog. The dark-red sandstone was quarried from the estate and the wood furnishings were made from oak felled on the estate. It has fine 19th century stained glass windows and antique tiles from the local brick & tile masters J. C. Edwards.
Penylan Hall (1)
Penylan, built overlooking the River Dee, dates from the 17th century. This large estate has been associated with the Lloyd, Kenyon, Hardcastle and Ormrod families at various points in its history and comprised of land on both sides of the River Dee, in the parishes of Ruabon, Erbistock, St. Martins and Ellesmere.
Penylan Hall (2)
The hall was remodelled in 1830 in the Tudor-Gothic revival style, when the stucco and castellation were added. It was again enlarged and altered in the late 1900s (but much of this was demolished in the 1950s).
Penylan Hall (3)
Major James Ormrod added a school and a church to the Penylan estate in the late 1800s for the benefit of the tenants on the estate. In 1968 the schools at Penylan and Erbistock closed when pupils transferred to the school at Eyton.
- Ancient Denbighshire Parishes
- Ancient Flintshire Parishes
- Local Place Names
- Denbighshire Nonconformist Registers
- Missing Census Records
- Reading Welsh Gravestones
- Old Clwyd Postcards
- Old Clwyd Photos
- Historic Wrexham Inns
- Historic Ruabon Inns
- Denbighshire Collieries
- Gresford Disaster
- Poor Law Unions
- Genealogy links