Rhuddlan

Hafan > Eglwysi > Rhuddlan

Llun allanol o eglwys Rhuddlan

SAESNEG YN UNIG.

St. Mary

Santes Fair

Ordnance Survey Reference:

SJ 020780

Listed:

Grade II*

Pre-1974 county:

Flintshire

1974 to 1996 county:

Clwyd

Post-1996 county:

Denbighshire

Rhuddlan is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire, featuring prominently in the Domesday book; at which time it was a stronghold of Robert, the nephew of Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester.

It comprised the townships of Crickin, Yscawen, Pentre, Brynbychan, Brynywal, Cefndy, Brynhedydd, Trellewelyn, Rhydorddwy and Rhyl.

On the 23rd May 1844, the townships of Rhyl and Brynhedydd went to the new parish of Rhyl; and more land was transferred from the parish of Rhuddlan to Rhyl shortly after the opening of the district church of St. Ann in 1896.

The earliest recorded mention of the church at Rhuddlan dates from the end of the eighth century. The church was extensively restored in 1870.

• • •

For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GENUKI Rhuddlan page.


Eglwysi