Maelor

Hafan > Amrywiol > Hen Gardiau Post Clwyd > Maelor

SAESNEG YN UNIG

Bangor is y Coed Bridge

Coracle fishing on the River Dee at Bangor is y Coed. The ancient red sandstone bridge leads to St. Dunawd's parish church, behind the trees on the right.

Bangor is y Coed Bridge

The old bridge over the River Dee at Bangor is y Coed. St. Dunawd's parish church can just be seen behind the trees (which are no longer there) to the right. The Royal Oak Hotel still stands at the end of the bridge, although the building with the signage has now gone. (Contributed by Graham Price)

Bangor is y Coed Bridge

A herd of cattle drinking from the River Dee at Bangor is y Coed. (Contributed by Peter Chadwick)

Bangor is y Coed Church

St. Dunawd's parish church on the banks of the River Dee.

Bangor is y Coed Church

St. Dunawd's parish church and graveyard.

High Street, Bangor is y Coed

High Street looking towards the bridge. (Contributed by Peter Chadwick)

Station Road, Bangor is y Coed

The station at Bangor is y Coed was on the GWR's Wrexham to Ellesmere line which crossed the rural Maelor. The lined closed in 1962. (Contributed by Peter Chadwick)

Station Road, Bangor is y Coed

The station at Bangor is y Coed was on the GWR's Wrexham to Ellesmere line which crossed the rural Maelor. The lined closed in 1962. (Contributed by Peter Chadwick)

Flooding at Bangor is y Coed

The River Dee was regularly prone to flooding before the modern flood-defences were built. (Contributed by Peter Chadwick)

Overton

Shops in the centre of Overton.

Overton

A group of cyclists in front of the red sandstone St. Mary's parish church. The graveyard contains Overton's famous yew trees. [Postmarked 1905].

Overton

Looking down High Street with St. Mary's parish church, and its famous yew trees, to the right. [Postmarked 1908] (Contributed by Graham Price)

Overton

Overton Cemetery. (Contributed by Graham Price)

Overton

A view of the Dee Valley from Overton Cemetery. [Postmarked 1911] (Contributed by Graham Price)

Overton

The Gwernheulog ("Sunny Marsh") estate stood on an elevated site above the River Dee, dating back to the 15th century. Originally the home of Madog ap Hywel ("Y Badi") of Owrtyn, the house was rebuilt, on possibly four occasions. The house was finally demolished in 1960, although the stable block still remains. (Contributed by Graham Price)

Overton

The Bryn y Pys estate stood on an elevated site above the River Dee, with the original house dating back to the 16th century. An impressive new house was built around 1807 and underwent further major alterations in 1881. After remaining empty for many years, the decaying buildings were demolished in 1956. [Postmarked 1907] (Contributed by Graham Price)

Worthenbury Church

St. Deiniol's parish church was completely rebuilt in 1739, and today the interior still retains many of its Georgian features. Experts consider it to be the finest example of a Georgian church in Wales. [Postmarked 1917] (Contributed by Graham Price)

Emral Hall

The Puleston family arrived in Britain during the Norman Conquest in 1066. The state at Emral was granted to the family in 1282. Robert Puleston married the sister of Owain Glynd?r and fought alongside Glyndwr in his rebellion. The modern Emral Hall was built by the Pulestons in the 17th century, one of Wrexham's grandest buildings. During the early 20th century the hall became dilapidated and was demolished in 1936. (Contributed by Graham Price)

Emral Hall

Another old postcard of Emral Hall.    (Contributed by Dorothy Powell)

Emral Hall

An old postcard of the interior of Emral Hall. This card was posted on 30th May 1926.    (Contributed by Dorothy Powell)

Hen Gardiau Post Clwyd